It’s almost here! I’m watching the clock waiting for it to be time for us to start our drive down to Virginia (fingers crossed we beat the snow!) and I’m looking forward to the holiday in a big way. We’ll be meeting my sister’s new puppy Penelope, and there are pies in our future… it really doesn’t get much better than puppies and pies, right?
If you’re equally eager to start celebrating, here are a few distractions…
To Make Holiday Travel A Little Less Painful: This American Life is our go-to distraction when our 8 hour trip inevitably turns into a 10-12 hour trip thanks to the never ending traffic and construction on 95. We got hooked on their latest venture, Serial, on our drive up for the wedding back in October. It’s so addicting. If you have some combination of planes, trains, and automobiles in your future start listening!
Last Minute Entertaining Tips from Martha: A few tips and tricks from the master. I can personally attest to the fact that number two is a game changer–no more “where should we put the mashed potatoes?!” which I swear happened in my family every year.
- Lay out all of your place settings to ensure that you have ample plates, utensils, and linens.
- Label your serving dishes to help get organized, and relieve stress on Thanksgiving Day.
- Choosing the Perfect Roasting Pan:
- SIZE – The pan should be just large enough to hold the roast and no larger.
- ROASTING RACK – Use either a V-shaped rack or a flat grid type rack for even browning and clean pan juices.
- POSITION – Top of the roast should be in the upper-middle part of the oven for maximum air circulation for even cooking.
Getting a Head Start on Sale Shopping: When it comes to spending, my wardrobe almost always comes in runner up to my home, but I really can’t ignore it anymore. After donating and consigning three huge bags of clothes it’s time to re-invest! Financially, it’s super daunting, but with all the crazy good sales, this is the time of year to start. Here are a few I’ll be hitting up:
- Shopbop: Up to 25% off with code: GOBIG14. My strategy? Shop the sale section first and double dip on the discount. I have my eye on this jacket and am thinking this will be the perfect opportunity to try out this denim line people are raving about.
- Net-A-Porter: The site keeps crashing because it’s just.that.good. I’m going to keep looping back on this one because I’ve scored amazing deals in the past!