Fellow DC lady, Meg Biram, is what you might call a triple threat. In addition to authoring a popular blog and offering digital media consulting, she’s also a talented artist. Envious yet? The glam watercolor above is my latest favorite, but she also has some pretty amazing abstracts. I happen to have a gallery wall in the works in our new apartment and think one of Meg’s pieces would be the perfect addition, don’t you?
Long hours and grey winter weather have me craving a little cozification. My recipe for relaxing is a basically combination of the above. Mix one part menswear inspired pajamas, two parts comfy slippers, wrap in a warm blanket and serve with a cup of hot chocolate. Pairs well with a well stoked fire.
If you need me, I’ll be hibernating until Spring!
This week’s In Pursuit is focused on the home. We’re picking up the keys to our new place this Friday, so it’s no surprise that I have decor on the brain. What may be surprising is that I’ve found myself drawn to a darker color palette as of late, and am seriously considering some Jcrew inspired stripes in our entryway. I plan on revisiting Celerie Kemble’s Black and White for further inspiration.
Don’t worry though, I haven’t completely abandoned my love of color. The above shades from Benjamin Moore and Ralph Lauren are also up for consideration. Plus, did you see the zany kilim I have on it’s way from Turkey? Let’s see if I can make this all work..
I love hunting around on ebay and craigslist for one-of-a-kind finds. I know it sounds weird, but I kind of get a rush when I find that perfect piece that I know no one else will have. I suppose there are worse addictions, right? Anyway, my latest acquisition is a Turkish kilim that hopefully makes its way over from Turkey sooner rather than later. I’m so excited to get this bad boy into our new apartment. The colors and pattern are bright, bold, and just my style. Fingers crossed it actually arrives!
Offering a glimpse into your home is about as personal as it gets, and I have to admit, I was a little nervous to share these shots of our little condo. This is our first “real” apartment, and our decorating budget (ha!) was next to nothing, so I’m thrilled with the positive response! There were a few questions, so I thought I’d answer them all in one post. As I said before, our decorating “budget” was pretty much non-existent, so we had to get a bit creative.
1. Dining chairs: the bamboo folding chairs were a Craigslist find, but Ballard Designs has a similar version. The chairs were originally blue, but in a moment of Jonathan Adler induced boldness I decided to repaint them in Behr’s Marigold.
2. Vase: the vase in our bedroom is my DIY version of Kate Spade’s Cloverdale.
3. Rug: the greek key rug is from Overstock. It’s held up great after three years of wear and tear.
4. Headboard: the headboard was another DIY. We used this tutorial for guidance after having a carpenter cut out the shape. The fabric is called Firefly and is one of my favorite etsy finds. It’s very similar to Quadrille’s Kazak for a fraction of the price!
5. Barcart: the bar cart is another Craislist find. I think I may have paid $40 for it. It works well in our small space, but when we have a real house I’ll definitely be purchasing the Society Social Sedgewick !
Thanks again for your sweet comments and I’m happy to answer any more questions that I may have missed!